TLDR read the bold text.
Precision Gears is a blender addon developed to bring an array of mathematically accurate involute gears to the precision world of Blender. Not only that, it's all incapsulated inside the closest thing to a faux "parametric" system, giving you the ability to change your gears on the fly. Also, integrated is a gear rigging system to create parametric gear chains that are animated.
Minimum version: Blender 3.5
- PLEASE NOTE -
Technically Precision Gears is forever evolving and in a state of open "beta". Gears are a very complicated topic to understand, teach and develop for, so be patient a whole bunch of videos and a wiki are planned for eventually. In the time being if you find any consistent bugs that you are able to replicate or have any future development ideas I would love to hear from you. The best place is in the maker tales discord in the Precision Gears channel link: HERE. Alternatively, you can fill in this form: Here not reviewed as often.
If you would like to test out a reduced feature "lite" version to evaluate how the addon works it's linked: here.
The addon is available for download for $8. With that said it would be greatly appreciated if you have the means to pay the suggested $15 or more as this will facilitate further development of this addon along with other precision addons for blender.
Gears & Features currently available:
- Spur Gear
- Helical Gear
- Herringbone Gear
- Rack Gear
- Internal Gear
- Internal Herringbone Gear
- Internal Helical Gear
- Bevel Gear
- Spiral Bevel Gear
- Worm Gear
- GT2 Belt Gears
- Crown Gears
- Center Extrusions
- Set Screws
- Cross Bore
- Round Subtract Bore (Set Screw)
- Round Additice Bore (Key)
- Polygon Bore ( Triangel / Hex ect.)
- Bore Previews
- Preset Creation
- Global Scaling
All future developments are included!
This is a one time purchase...
Of course, further donations are always welcome if you feel there granted =)
New With The Toothy Update:
- Gears to keep material assignments when changing parameters
- Internal gears outside perimeters perfectly round
- Cross bore. XY parameters should be the total length of bore extrusion
- Gear face chamfering/bevelling from tip (Spur, Internal, Helical, Herringbone, Rack)
- Tooth crowning (Spur, Internal)
- Tooth flank tip relief (Spur, Internal, Helical, Herringbone, Rack)
- Tooth undercut (Spur, Helical, Herringbone)
- Rounded tooth tips/reliefs (Spur, Internal, Helical, Herringbone, Rack)
- Tooth flank base relief (Rack)
- Better Topology
- Pre-creased Edges (aka. Subvision Support)
- Plus more fixes under the hood...
New With Rigging Update:
- GT2 Gears
- Crown Gears
- Gear presets with thumbnails and a robust preset application system
- Improved UV Unwrapping
- Improved worm gears
- Procedural Gear Rigging System
- Instance-based so it’s fast and you can use modifiers to edit gears